For Scriba the standard solutions are not the only option. Any idea can be realized!
Our customers address Scriba for realizing their most complex and sophisticated projects, they ask for devices with personalized features and dimensions, and they rely upon us for their realization. Even you, with the Scriba team, will be able to project and fabricate the microfluidic device that you have in your mind.
Starting from a simple sketch, we offer our support and we will advise you on the most effective materials and techniques for satisfying your expectations. Tell us your idea and we will think to all the rest!
Microfluidic is the science of manipulating small quantities of fluids, usually in the range of 10 -9 – 10 -18 liters by using channels with a dimensions tens or hundreds of micrometers. The microfluidic technology offers a series of very useful features such as the possibility to use small quantities of samples and reagents, to create a high sensitivity analysis platform, at low cost, in short times and with reduced overall dimensions.
We adopt different microfluidic fabrication techniques depending on the material and on the minimum dimensions needed. We can realized a microfluidic chip by using:
- Thermoforming technique: a termoplastic material for hot embossing to obtain a microfluidic device
- Direct Laser writing of 3D microstructured design
- Casting of polymer in a 3D microfluidic mold
We offer a wide range of microfluidic chips, either standard or completely customised.
It is possible for example to choose:
- Material: PDMS and thermoplastic materials
- Dimension: Width, depth and thickness of microchannels.
- Design: complex geometries and multilayer chips, integration with layers of interest by the customer, or with sensors or electrodes, integration with connectors or supports, surface treatments, etc.
Application fields of our microfluidics
- interface of fluids with optical and electronic sensors
- microfluidic cells containing fluids for diffraction experiments XIRD, GIXD, SAXS (conducted also in the synchrotron facility)
- imaging with optical microscopy and laser counting
- study of chemical reactions in a confined environment (volume solutions of 1 nL up to 0,1 pL).
- biological assays
- microreactors for crystallization of proteins
- devices for quantitative studies of nanotoxicology
Thanks to virtual prototyping, exploiting the method of finite elements, and using COMSOL Multiphysics software, we can design microfluidics components optimized on specifications of the customer.
We can integrate microfluidics on substrates of interest for our customers and we do tests of sealing of the entire system, with a peristaltic pump, thanks to which we can control speed and flow rate of liquid sent inside microfluidic. Therefore, microfluidic devices built by us can be equipped with different microfluidics components such as actuators, if requested by the customer, to open and close automatically the microchannels.
Furthermore, we can provide a wide range of 3D connectors printed in-house for reliable and efficient connections between chips and microfluidic tubes. This allows our customers to have a single speaker for realization of the complete project!